When it comes to weight loss, we seem much too focused on what and how much we are not allowed to eat, when we really should be concentrating our attention toward healthy food options – what we should be eating. So instead of constantly thinking about what you’re missing, focus on all those delicious foods that keep you satisfied while also helping you lose the extra pounds.
1. Melons: Take advantage of the fact that summer is nearly here and prepare yourself to stock up on an array of seedless watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew. You can cut them into cubes and store them in your fridge to have on hand when you feel the urge for something delicious and juicy. Their high moisture content dilutes the calories per serving and provides you with more water; it’s a great way to stay hydrated and feel full.
2. Fat-free Yogurt: Dairy products that are rich in protein have been proven to help in weight loss, so why not start your day with a yogurt parfait. Add berries and crushed nuts or granola in your favorite fat-free yogurt. This also makes a great, yummy dessert.
3. Vegetables: It’s nearly season for all those tasty summer vegetables: zucchini, yellow squash, and red, green, and orange peppers; they fill your meals with flavor, leave you satisfied and have barely a few calories. You can use them in wraps or to fill out pasta dishes, serve them as a side dish, or simply pile them high on a plate and sprinkle some freshly grated cheese on top.
4. Turkey or Chicken Breast: Get your daily dosage of protein without any unwanted extra calories or fat. Make sure to keep a container in your fridge filled with precooked chicken or turkey breast in easy reach. Lean meat keeps your blood sugar from dipping and your appetite from rising. Have them cold or reheated; sliced, diced, or cut into strips; you can even add them in your salads and in fajitas.
5. Low-Fat Dips and Dressings: The main problem with diet food is that it can be quite tasteless and boring. This can easily make you crave fat filled or sugary meals. To prevent this, make sure you keep your taste buds stimulated with low-fat dips and dressings. This will increase your chances of getting those five servings a day of fruits and vegetables down. Go for any of the Sabra Mediterranean dips, spicy salsas, or a yogurt-based dressing to get started. You could also try a spicy wasabi dip for vegetables, or a sweet yogurt and sugar-free jam dip for your fruit salad.